Sunday 19 February 2017

DIY Beauty | Body & Lip Scrub

This was a DIY around 5 years in the making.  I’ve attempted homemade face masks and hair masks in the past [some with success, others with mashed banana and avocado stuck in my hair for days], but with plenty of scrubs in the shops I was happy with, I never quite got round to making my own.  But an unsupervised detour to the soap making aisle of Hobby Craft sees a whole load of Beauty DIYs coming your way over the next few months, starting with this easy Body & Lip Scrub combo.

| WHAT YOU NEED |
Sugar / Cucumber Oil / Peppermint Oil / Containers / Spoon



| HOW YOU MAKE THEM |

This is the tip of the DIY Beauty iceberg – the colours, scents, oils and ingredients means that a whole loads of personalisation is possible and you can tailor to anyone and everyone.
For my base, I used Coconut Oil.  It’s cheap, it’s everywhere and the benefits are widely known.  A 500g jar costs around £2 and will make up 3 body scrubs and 3 lip scrubs no problem.
I scooped 1/3 of the coconut oil into a mixing jar [unmeasured as the quantities were very much altered to suit my preference] and broke it up with a fork to make it easier to work with.
My ‘scrub’ element was white granulated sugar and I added 1 cup in total, a ¼ cup at a time, mixing in with my fork and testing the consistency as I went until I was happy with the ratio.
Next, the oils and scents.  I wanted something fresh, clean and light, so opted for a blend of mint oil and cucumber oil – two caps full of each, but adding one cap at a time, mixing and testing the blend as I went.
This is the stage where you can add any colourings, additional exfoliants or even dried flowers before transferring to your chosen pots.  I picked up a selection of lip pots from the pound store and a couple of larger jars from amazon and even went as far as to create some labels [these make great gifts if you use the same oils as me, so feel free to use the ones below]. 

| LABEL |
[right-click and save to your computer to print]
I filled a lip jar with the mixture, patting down and levelling before popping in the fridge to harden the mixture.  
I then transferred the remaining mixture into the larger jar, but left this in its fluffy, lighter state.
Not only does it look and work well, it smells amazing – the perfect fresh scent for a bathroom!

Have you ever made your own beauty products? Let me know if you have any recommendations.
Share:

6 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful post! i am using some discount codes for beauty products to buy and save and i mostly use Arran - Sense Of Scotland Discount Codes for skincare and gifts etc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Awesome tip & points and Help full blog. Its really helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Body Lip Scrubs made with the most natural components are always effective and one can get a lot of instruction manual as to how to effectively apply them.

    Lip Scrub for Men

    ReplyDelete

  5. Text message spy app enables discreet monitoring of SMS and MMS, unveiling conversations, contacts, and media exchanged. Ideal for parental control or safeguarding relationships by ensuring transparency and security.Here i want to share the best app for you app text message monitoringRead your kids sms messages on Android phone, for their well being keep an eye on who they are chatting with. View complete details of sent & received massages, phone numbers & time stamps.

    ReplyDelete

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig